Consumers swap refined sugars for natural-based alternatives
Implications - With the harmful effects of excess sugar consumption now being widely publicized, consumers have begun searching for low-calorie alternatives. The rising popularity of less refined sugars and sweeteners -- especially those that come from natural sources -- indicates not only that preventative health is at the forefront of consumers' purchasing decisions; it also showcases a willingness on the part of the Western consumer to look at other cultures for health inspiration.
Workshop Question - What outside influences can you draw from to intrigue consumers looking for something new?
1. Less Refined Sweeteners - Consumers are turning to low-calorie natural-based sweeteners.
2. Sugar-free Products - A growing demand for sugar-free alternatives to popular treats.
3. De-sugared Beverages - De-sugared or sugar-free options of popular juice drinks are gaining popularity.
1. Food & Beverage Industry - Opportunities arise for businesses to cater to the growing popularity of less refined and sugar-free alternatives in their products.
2. Health and Wellness Industry - Businesses can capitalize on health-conscious consumers looking for healthier sugar alternatives.
3. Cultural Industry - Companies can bring cultural awareness by incorporating traditional recipes and celebrations into their products.