Runway shows magnify their focus on gender inclusion
Implications - Though the fashion world has been inclusive in its ability to allow people of all genders to express themselves, inclusive representation of varying genders within the industry has remained limited. This fact is beginning to shift, as brands feature gender fluid clothing on their runways, as well as people that identify with a myriad of genders. The bottom-up approach to challenging societal norms by activists in these communities has taken hold, and in the case of the fashion industry–long-marginalized groups are slowly beginning to set the standards, rather than having brands decide what those standards should be.
Workshop Question - How can your brand better include communities who have been historically marginalized?
1. Gender-inclusive Fashion Shows - Brands are showcasing gender-fluid clothing on their runways and featuring models that identify with a myriad of genders, breaking down the rigid gender binaries that divide the fashion industry.
2. Provocative Runway Shows - High fashion designers are featuring increasingly provocative, dominatrix-inspired designs, amidst the conversation of expression and oppression within the walls of the high fashion industry.
3. Trans-supportive Fashion Runways - Fashion shows are becoming more inclusive and now feature transgender models on the runway, attempting to create a safe space for personal expression and body positivity for everyone, including non-binary individuals and children.
1. Fashion and Apparel - The fashion and apparel industry must adapt to changing gender norms and embrace gender inclusivity to remain relevant and cater to diverse customer bases.
2. Beauty and Personal Care - As male consumers increase their skincare, grooming, and cosmetic routines, the beauty and personal care industry has an opportunity to cater to an evolving demographic that promotes androgyny.
3. Entertainment and Media - As provocative and inclusive fashion shows become more prevalent, the entertainment and media industry has the opportunity to reflect and amplify the dialogue of expression and oppression in society.
6 Featured, 53 Examples:
316,912 Total Clicks
Feb 16 — Feb 18
Consumer Insight Topics: