Brands protest net neutrality repeals in the United States in various ways
Implications - Brands are taking more passionate stances by opting to speak out against the repeal of net neutrality laws in the United States, which have caused backlash across the political spectrum. This shift serves to educate and rally the average consumer who will be affected by these repeals, and indicates a shift in which brand neutrality in the face of political and social issues is being overtaken by the need to better cater to consumers–who increasingly tend to align their personal values with their purchase decisions.
Workshop Question - How can your brand better support its customers' value-based decision-making?
1. Corporate Activism - Brands are taking more passionate stances on political and social issues, sparking important conversations and raising awareness among the general public.
2. Humorous Activism - Hilarious and often viral social media stunts are proving to be a powerful way for individuals to get their message across in the fight for net neutrality.
3. Creative Communication - Individuals and brands are finding unique and accessible ways to explain the complex issue of net neutrality, from children's books to burger campaigns.
1. Technology - Net neutrality has major implications for the tech industry, with companies and consumers alike fighting to maintain a free, open, and fair internet.
2. Marketing and Advertising - Brands are using their platforms to take a stance on net neutrality, align with consumers who care about political issues, and drive important conversations about social responsibility.
3. Education - As net neutrality remains an important issue for citizens around the world, there is an increasing need for education efforts that will help people of all ages understand its implications and why it matters.