Consumers seek accessibility when it comes to audio entertainment
Implications - The popularization of podcasts provides a new market for brands to ease consumption and distribution to reach a larger audience. Celebrities and content creators alike are producing diverse podcasts on everything from fun facts to feminism, increasing the need for sharable platforms and streamlined access. This shift in desire for verbal enlightenment highlights new outlets for co-creation between consumers who want to share content and brands that can offer a place to do so.
Workshop Question - What is one way that your brand can ease the shareability of your products and services?
1. Enhanced Podcast Listening - Podcast listeners can now personalize their listening experience by adding music or enhancing ambience of a podcast episode, opening opportunities to audio software tools to enhance the medium further.
2. Visualizing Podcasts - By turning audio clips into visually engaging snippets, shareable podcast platforms offer a way to attract potential listeners from different social media sites, highlighting the importance of cross-media promotion for this growing industry.
3. Podcast-enthusiast Communities - Social networks that offer users a chance to connect with like-minded individuals on a shared passion for podcasts create a sense of community in an industry that is generally consumed alone, leading to potential for niche content and targeted advertising.
1. Audio Software Development - With the growing podcast industry, there is room for software companies to innovate and add new features to the medium that improve the user experience, and support the podcast hosts themselves.
2. Cross-media Advertising - As shown by Midroll, advertising on podcasts is growing in popularity, indicating a need for businesses to explore cross-media advertising opportunities that reach audiences through alternative mediums, such as podcasts or shareable podcast snippets on social media.
3. Podcasting for Niche Markets - Communities like Repod offer the opportunity to create and distribute podcasts with a specific, passionate audience in mind, opening up possibilities for both niche podcast content and targeted advertising.