Big chain restaurants provide exclusivity through secret menu items
Implications - The rise of foodie culture is fueled mostly by a youth generation of big-brand skeptics, which could put big-brand QSRs in a compromising position. Some of these brands have found a way to provide exclusivity to the modern foodie with secret menus. These menus replace fine dining experiences and exclusive ingredients with cultural capital through limited advertising and a call to those who are "in the know."
Workshop Question - How can your brand strategically limit product availability or advertising to communicate exclusivity?
1. Secret Menus - Secret menu items give foodies a sense of elite inclusion to the brand's altered and unconventional food dishes.
2. Personalization - Consumers desire a more personalized experience, as demonstrated by the popular trend of menu hacks and secret menu items.
3. Immersive Marketing - Businesses can use immersive marketing to create hype and excitement around limited edition menu items, such as the foodora Burger's Priest pop-up event.
1. Food & Beverage - Trends in secret menus and menu hacks are particularly relevant for businesses in the food and beverage industry.
2. Retail - The trend of personalized experiences is applicable across a variety of retail industries, from fast food chains to convenience stores.
3. Marketing - Business professionals in the marketing industry can draw from the trend of immersive marketing to create exciting and engaging campaigns for their clients.