Consumers swap meat with superfood for the main course
Implications - Vegan and vegetarian lifestyles are gaining traction as consumers' interest in health and wellness continues to grow. No longer just a side dish, vegetables, especially those of the superfood variety, have replaced meat as the main protein in a meal. Whether or not consumers have fully adopted a meatless diet, they are more willing to cut meat out of the equation, especially in favor of healthier alternatives.
Workshop Question - How can your brand adapt to changing purchasing habits within its more traditional offerings?
1. Rise in Popularity of Plant-based Diets - Consumers are turning towards plant-based diets for health and environmental reasons, leading to the popularity of meatless substitutes and meat-alternative meals.
2. Growing Interest in Superfoods - As consumers prioritize health and wellness, there is a growing interest in superfoods. Non-traditional ingredients like lentils and cauliflower are being used in place of meat in main course meals.
3. Increased Experimentation with Food - Chefs and bloggers are constantly experimenting with traditional dishes, creating new and innovative meatless recipes that deliver the same taste and familiarity of meat dishes.
1. Food and Beverage - Food and beverage companies can innovate by introducing plant-based alternatives and superfood ingredients to their products.
2. Health and Wellness - The popularity of superfoods and plant-based diets present opportunities for businesses that create health and wellness products.
3. Hospitality - Restaurants and hotels can cater to the growing customer demand for meatless and plant-based options by introducing innovative meatless recipes to their menus.