Younger consumers seek lighthearted forms of feminism
Implications - As a backlash to the calculated, sentimental approach to feminism executed by many brands, younger consumers are seeking (and creating) more lighthearted approaches to girl power. This speaks to the Gen Z idea of natural diversity as opposed to forced mindfulness, pointing to the general preferences of a youth group raised on more empathetic values.
Workshop Question - What message does your brand send when it comes to issues of equality?
1. Lighthearted Feminism - Younger consumers are seeking more lighthearted approaches to girl power, pointing to the general preferences of a youth group raised on more empathetic values and diversity.
2. Empowering Women - More industries are focusing on empowering women, from girl-only gaming events and female action hero ads to all-female DJ workshops, highlighting the need and opportunity to create safe environments for women to learn, explore, and create.
3. Realistic Lifestyle Ads - Realistic representations of womanhood and the need for authenticity are taking hold in mainstream media, from Organic Valley's 'Real Morning Report' to Project Everyone's remake of Spice Girls' Wannabe music video, offering the opportunity to create brand campaigns and messaging using humor, relatability, and transparency.
1. Games and Entertainment - Industries such as gaming and entertainment can explore creating more gender-neutral content and inclusive environments to cater to the needs of younger consumers' empathetic and diverse values and tackle issues of discrimination and inclusivity.
2. Food and Beverage - Companies in the food and beverage industry can focus on creating products that cater to the needs of busy, working women with health-conscious and realistic options that speak to consumers' daily struggles and goals for self-care and self-love.
3. Media and Advertising - Advertising and media professionals can focus on creating campaigns that present a more accurate and realistic portrayal of women and tackle issues of gender inequality and representation in mainstream media, using humor, relatability, and transparency to capture audiences' attention and increase engagement.