Parents turn to creative DIY kits for a fun, low-tech experience
Implications - Encouraging creative development, parents are turning to kits that help inspire kids to construct and design products with their own two hands. Taking a hands-on approach to play, these products allow kids to customize and create their own toys. This speaks to a need for products that not only occupy kids, but that also stimulate imagination as well.
Workshop Question - What can your brand or product do to tap into the consumer desire to create?
1. DIY and Maker Culture - As parents look to provide their children with off-screen, hands-on experiences, companies are creating DIY and maker-themed toys that encourage artistic and adventurous play.
2. Nostalgia and Sustainability - The rise in nostalgic toys like cardboard kits, comics and cactus cross-stitch kits reflects a growing trend toward more sustainable and environmentally-friendly products.
3. STEM Education and Robotics - DIY electronics and robotics themed kits provide opportunities for educational play, teaching children invaluable programming and circuit-building skills.
1. Toy Industry - Companies in the toy industry can seek to create more DIY themed toys to fit in with the growing trend toward off-screen and hands-on play.
2. Education Industry - As technology continues to shape the workforce, the demand for STEM education and robotic-themed learning platforms is growing.
3. Sustainability Industry - There is an increasing demand for sustainable products as consumers become more conscious of the environmental impact of unchecked manufacturing.