Online networks provide new channels for spreading activist initiatives
Implications - With consumers flooding social networks, surfing the Internet daily and connecting to the web via their phones, social media provides a major channel of reach for charitable donations and social cause awareness. Applied to activism, social media can leverage the relationships between individuals, taking causes to a level never before seen with traditional forms of fundraising and campaigning.
1. Social Media for Activism - Social media provides a major channel of reach for charitable donations and social cause awareness and leverages the relationships between individuals, taking causes to a new level never before seen with traditional forms of fundraising and campaigning.
2. Crowdfunding for Charitable Causes - The TwitChange auction and #beatcancer fundraising efforts demonstrate how crowdfunding can be used for charitable causes, and disrupts traditional fundraising methods.
3. Mobile Apps for Social Activism - Mobile apps like MoGO Oil Spill Effected Wildlife and social networks like Refugees United demonstrate the power of mobile technology to assist in social activism, and create opportunities for innovation in the development of social activism technology.
1. Non-profit Organizations - Social media, crowdfunding, and mobile technology can bring new opportunities for non-profits to fundraise, connect with potential donors and volunteers, and reach a wider audience to advance their causes.
2. Social Media Platforms - Social media platforms can leverage their networks to facilitate charitable donations, connect users with charitable causes and organizations, and explore new ways to promote activism within their networks.
3. Mobile Technology - Mobile technology can be used to assist in social activism, create platforms for connecting individuals with charitable organizations and efforts, and facilitate crowdfunding for social causes and non-profits.