Internet culture informs the content of modern board games
Implications - Board games that cater to different fandoms or hyper-specific interests are emerging on the market. With the advent of crowdfunding initiatives, people no longer have to wait for products that reflect niche interests, leading to more experimental concepts in both mainstream and online ventures. Internet culture has created a consumer who is proactive about getting their needs met, both in terms of necessities and forms of play.
Workshop Question - Can your brand accommodate consumers with niche interests and needs? How?
1. Niche Interest Products - Crowdfunding initiatives are empowering the creation of experimental concepts in both mainstream and online ventures for hyper-specific niche interests.
2. Gamified Nostalgia - Traditional board games adapted to have themes from internet culture and pop icons are turning nostalgic activities into interactive games.
3. Cinematic Gaming - The trend of merging mediums has created games centered around a storyline and inspired by horror films.
1. Crowdfunding Industry - Crowdfunding initiatives provide an opportunity to bring niche products to market and support innovation in the industry.
2. Gaming Industry - The gaming industry can use the tactic of gamification and explore themes inspired by internet culture to attract new audiences.
3. Entertainment Industry - The merging of different verticals like gaming and cinema can create more immersive experiences and open new entertainment markets.