Smartphone-controlled objects provide extreme convenience
Implications - Mobile technology is having a profound impact on home automation, allowing consumers to create 'smart' living spaces by controlling their appliances, entertainment units, thermostats, fixtures, security systems and more with their smartphones. The adoption rate of these smartphone-controlled innovations is rising -- according to ABI Research, approximately 1 million home-automation systems were sold across North America in 2011, and this number is predicted to grow six times by 2016. With smartphone ownership nearly ubiquitous and reliance on mobile technology rising at a rapid pace, this direction underscores the opportunities for smart living spaces and smartphone-controlled innovations in the marketplace.
1. Smartphone-controlled Home Appliances - The trend of smartphone-controlled home appliances is creating opportunities for the development of products that can be controlled via smartphone apps, providing new levels of convenience for consumers.
2. Automated Home Electronics - The rise of automated home electronics is creating opportunities for the development of products that can allow users to effortlessly control their home appliances and electronics with the push of a button.
3. Everyday Object Automation Platforms - The development of everyday object automation platforms is creating opportunities for products that can easily connect and automate ordinary objects and appliances, such as drawers, cupboards, and even pet collars and food bowls.
1. Smart Home Automation - The smart home automation industry can reference these trends to develop new products that can transform the home into a smart living space.
2. Consumer Electronics - The consumer electronics industry can reference these trends to develop new products that can enable users to effortlessly control and monitor their electronic devices.
3. Internet of Things - The Internet of Things industry can reference these trends to develop new products that can connect ordinary objects and appliances to the internet, allowing for increased automation and convenience.