Social media pushes product and personal brands to be more real & vulnerable
Implications - The web is redefining celebrity; to maintain a following, some stars are pushing to appear more real to fans by exposing embarrassing moments or releasing un-retouched photos. As a celebrity, voluntarily exposing yourself in the face of rising curiosity leaves you in control and prevents fans (or customers) from taking the initiative to reveal your weaknesses themselves.
1. Authenticity in Brands - Social media is pushing for product and personal brands to be more real and vulnerable, creating an opportunity for businesses to rethink their marketing strategies and embrace their flaws.
2. Direct-to-consumer Marketing - Celebrities are sharing personal moments and pictures with their followers, opening up an opportunity for businesses to create a personal connection with customers through social media.
3. Natural Beauty Standards - The rise of 'makeup-less' magazine covers and models without makeup photoshoots have sparked a trend towards embracing natural beauty, and this trend creates a disruptive opportunity for businesses to reconsider their marketing standards.
1. Marketing and Advertising - The need for authenticity and direct-to-consumer marketing requires companies to adapt their advertising strategies to modern standards and become more personal with clients.
2. Fashion and Beauty - The natural beauty trend requires the beauty industry to change and embrace genuine beauty, rather than promoting unachievable ideals and creating pressure on women's appearance.
3. Social Media and Influencer Marketing - The phenomenon of celebrities sharing personal moments and pictures through social media creates an opportunity for businesses to leverage influencer marketing and partner with celebrities to reach larger audiences through followership.