Overwatch's Lunar New Year event is set to celebrate the holiday with over 50 seasonal items and six new legendary skins. The event will be the game's celebration of the Lunar New Year and has been dubbed Year of the Dog. This event will be the second celebration for Overwatch, as the previous Year of the Rooster was praised by many fans of the series. The event is set to begin in mid-February of 2018, just in time for the Lunar New Year.
Overwatch's Lunar New Year will bring several updates to the game, including a new skin-swapping feature, as well as several quality of life updates. The event will also bring a whole slew of cosmetic upgrades, all centered around the Lunar New Year and Chinese celebrations. As part of the update, legendary skins will be returning for characters Mercy, Zarya, Genji and Widowmaker. New game modes will also be added, including Capture the Flag mode and Sudden Death. A new map entitled Ayutthaya will also appear in the update, but no further information has been given on it.
Image Credit: USA Gamer, Blizzard Entertainment
Overwatch's Lunar New Year Event Will Bring Several Themed Updates
1. Seasonal Video Game Events - The popularity of Overwatch's Lunar New Year event highlights the trend of video game companies hosting seasonal events to engage and retain players.
2. Cosmetic Upgrades - The inclusion of over 50 seasonal items and six new legendary skins in Overwatch's Lunar New Year event indicates a trend of providing players with frequent cosmetic upgrades to enhance their in-game experience.
3. Continued Support and Updates - Overwatch's Year of the Dog event showcases the trend of game developers providing ongoing support and updates to keep their player base engaged and excited.
1. Video Game Development - The success of Overwatch's Lunar New Year event presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for video game developers to incorporate seasonal events and frequent updates to drive player engagement and revenue growth.
2. Cosmetics and Fashion - The demand for over 50 new seasonal items and stylish character skins in Overwatch's Lunar New Year event creates a disruptive innovation opportunity for cosmetics and fashion industries to collaborate with video game developers and create exclusive in-game cosmetic products.
3. Event Planning and Management - The organization and execution of Overwatch's Year of the Dog event opens up a disruptive innovation opportunity for event planning and management companies to partner with video game companies and create unique and immersive gaming experiences for players.