Ford and Domino's are collaborating in a daring partnership which hopes to alter the pizza and food delivery industry permanently. The companies announced that they will be deploying several autonomous vehicles through Ann Arbor, Michigan, to deliver Domino's pizza to randomly selected customers.
The Ford Fusion Hybrid vehicles will keep the pizza warm through a heated compartment, which is only accessible through a numerical code provided to the buyer upon purchase. The main goal behind this experiment is for the fast food chain to better understand the last 50 feet of the delivery experience, when the pizza reaches its destination. The company hopes this partnership will offer a deeper understanding between the interactions and expectations of a customer and the driverless vehicle.
Ford and Domino's are Deploying Self-Driving Delivery Cars
1. Autonomous Delivery Vehicles - Opportunities for disruptive innovation include developing new delivery service models that leverage autonomous vehicles for a faster and more efficient delivery process.
2. Food Delivery Technology - Disruptive innovation can arise from creating new technologies and systems for heated compartments or temperature-controlled environments to ensure food quality during autonomous deliveries.
3. Last Mile Delivery Solutions - Disruptive innovation opportunities exist in designing customer-friendly interfaces and systems that enhance the last 50 feet of the delivery experience when a package or meal is handed off to the recipient.
1. Food Delivery - The food delivery industry can explore the integration of autonomous vehicles for efficient and reliable delivery services.
2. Automotive - The automotive industry has the potential to disrupt existing norms by developing self-driving technology specifically tailored for delivery vehicles.
3. Technology - The technology industry can contribute to disruptive innovation by creating new systems, sensors, and software that power autonomous delivery vehicles.