Though Facebook may not have been designed specifically to spread the Gospel, many churches are taking advantage of the newly introduced, easy-to-use Facebook Live to create evangelical streaming services.
Online streaming sermons are not a new concept, however their relative complexity in terms of hardware, software and technological know-how made them prohibitive for all but the largest religious institutions. Now, since Facebook is so widely used, smaller churches are choosing to use Facebook Live for their evangelical streaming.
The average millennial Facebook user might not be particularly religious, but evangelical streaming is not only about reaching youth. Facebook Live is simple to use and only requires a laptop or smartphone -- items that at least a few congregation members are sure to own. This means that Facebook Live can become a conduit between small churches and those who aren't able to attend services -- for instance, people with mobility problems.
Churches are Using Facebook Live to Stream Their Sermons
1. Evangelical Streaming - Creating evangelical streaming services using Facebook Live helps churches reach a wider audience and connect with those who are unable to physically attend services.
2. Simplified Online Streaming - The simplicity and accessibility of Facebook Live makes online streaming sermons more feasible for smaller religious institutions.
3. Inclusivity and Accessibility - Using Facebook Live as a streaming platform allows churches to accommodate individuals with mobility issues or other limitations.
1. Religious Institutions - Religious organizations can leverage Facebook Live to expand their reach and engage with their congregation.
2. Social Media Platforms - Social media platforms like Facebook have the opportunity to further support communities by providing tools for live streaming of religious services.
3. Technology and Hardware Providers - Companies specializing in providing hardware and software solutions for live streaming have the chance to cater to the needs of religious institutions using Facebook Live.