Niantic, the company behind Pokemon Go, has made a big step in its acquisition of AR firm Escher Reality. Escher Reality is currently exploring the intersection of the physical world and digital world through AR and computer vision. The focus of the company is on multiplatform and multiuser experiences, something that completely unique to Escher Reality as other AR developers lack this focus.Escher Reality began as an idea in the MIT sandbox, and has since received funding from MassChallenge, Autodesk Build, and MassDigi.
This acquisition brings big implications to Niantic's plans with Pokemon Go and any future AR endeavors the company has. Thanks to work done by Escher Reality, Niantic will be able to better integrate physical cues into the AR space and vice versa. By integrating Escher Reality technology into Pokemon Go, Niantic could push a more social experience into the game and could further create a persistent shared world of players and atmosphere.
Niantic's Acquisition of Escher Reality Brings Further Innovation to AR
1. Multiplatform AR Experiences - The acquisition of Escher Reality allows Niantic to explore multiplatform AR experiences, enhancing the user experience across different devices and operating systems.
2. Multiuser AR Experiences - The integration of Escher Reality's technology into Niantic's AR games enables the creation of immersive and collaborative AR experiences where multiple users can interact within the same virtual space.
3. Integration of Physical and Digital Worlds in AR - By leveraging Escher Reality's expertise, Niantic can develop AR applications that seamlessly blend the physical and digital worlds, enhancing the realism and interactivity of the user experience.
1. Augmented Reality (AR) - The acquisition of Escher Reality by Niantic demonstrates the ongoing innovation and advancements in the AR industry, paving the way for more immersive and interactive experiences.
2. Gaming - Escher Reality's technology integration into Niantic's gaming products, such as Pokemon Go, opens up new avenues for social gaming experiences and persistent shared worlds.
3. Computer Vision - Escher Reality's exploration of the intersection between the physical world and digital world through AR and computer vision showcases the potential for disruptive innovation in computer vision applications and technologies.