Glamorized geeks are hailed as celebrities, redefining pop culture
Implications - Media that was once populated by traditionally beautiful pop culture figures are being taken over by “neo-nerds,” whose quirky qualities are increasingly being considered beautiful by the general population. The neo-nerd is a strange yet successful person who (unlike their prototypical nerd predecessor) is not only accepted by, but hailed as, a superior in society. Today’s nerds have become symbols in society that question the traditional meaning of “cool.”
1. Neo-nerdom - The rise of neo-nerds is redefining pop culture, as quirky and unconventional qualities are increasingly being considered beautiful.
2. Techie Pop Culture Icons - Techies and businessmen are becoming the new pop culture icons, inspiring everything from sculptures to fashion lines.
3. CEO Fan Culture - Tech founders like Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg have gained a following for their style and persona.
1. Fashion Industry - The fashion world can capitalize on the rise of quirky and unconventional beauty standards, creating clothing lines inspired by tech founders.
2. Entertainment Industry - Pop culture is shifting towards a neo-nerd aesthetic, presenting opportunities to create TV shows, movies, and comic books that showcase this trend.
3. Art and Design Industry - Art and design can create products that reflect the image of tech pioneers and business leaders, such as sculptures, mosaics, and action figures.