Getting fired from a job is among the worst things one can experience over the course of their career, but Burger King is hoping to make it at least a little more palatable with its new #WhopperSeverance campaign. The social media campaign, which focuses on LinkedIn, gives people free Whoppers if they've recently been fired.
The connection for Burger King comes from the preparation technique for its burgers. Whoppers are famously fire-grilled, so the fast food restaurant chain thought to extend the fire metaphor to another area. By posting "I got fired. I want a free Whopper. #WhopperSeverance" on Linked In, users get an email link that lets them apply for their Whopper Severance package.
The campaign is a creative way to make use of the professional networking platform, a space where advertising is typically geared toward career-oriented products and services.
Burger King's #WhopperSeverance Gives a Free Burger to Fired Employees
1. Creative Social Media Campaigns - The #WhopperSeverance campaign by Burger King showcases the trend of using social media platforms creatively to engage with customers and build brand loyalty.
2. Incorporating Brand Messaging in Unconventional Ways - Burger King's #WhopperSeverance campaign demonstrates the trend of incorporating brand messaging in unexpected places, like providing free burgers to recently fired employees.
3. Using Humor to Navigate Sensitive Topics - The #WhopperSeverance campaign highlights the trend of using humor as a way to address sensitive topics, such as job loss, in a lighthearted and engaging manner.
1. Fast Food - The fast food industry can explore disruptive innovation opportunities by using unconventional marketing strategies, such as offering free products to specific customer segments.
2. Social Media Marketing - The social media marketing industry can capitalize on the trend of creative campaigns like #WhopperSeverance by helping brands create engaging content and build meaningful connections with their audience.
3. Professional Networking - The professional networking industry can identify disruptive innovation opportunities by allowing brands to leverage their platform for unique advertising campaigns, like Burger King's #WhopperSeverance on LinkedIn.