The Soofas in Boston, Massachusetts, is a series of public benches that have solar-power capabilities so as to charge people's phones and other devices as they sit back and relax. Set up in parks around the city, they will also "disseminate location-based information such as noise, temperature, and air pollution levels through a website," according to The Verge.
A first step towards introducing smart public furniture, Soofas in Boston will cost about $3000 each. Soofa co-inventor Sandra Richter says, "The possibilities to update the city for the mobile generation are endless and long overdue." Set to be distributed next week, the design is simple enough to complement any outdoor setting. The middle of the bench boasts a raised section that provides a USB outlet people can use to connect their devices to.
The Soofas in Boston Provide Public Resting Spots and Charging Stations
1. Smart Public Furniture - The introduction of Soofas in Boston paves the way for smart public furniture that offers convenience and functionality for the mobile generation.
2. Solar-powered Technology - The integration of solar-powered capabilities in benches like Soofas presents opportunities for harnessing clean energy while providing charging solutions in public spaces.
3. Location-based Information - The dissemination of location-based information by Soofas, such as noise, temperature, and air pollution levels, highlights the potential for improving urban environments with data-driven insights.
1. Urban Design and Architecture - The use of Soofas in urban parks demonstrates the potential for innovation in urban design and architecture, incorporating technology to enhance public spaces.
2. Renewable Energy - The solar-powered benches industry is enabling efficient utilization of renewable energy sources while providing practical charging solutions in outdoor environments.
3. Smart City Solutions - The integration of location-based information and charging capabilities in public furniture like Soofas reflects the growing industry of smart city solutions, improving urban living through technology-driven innovations.