The Smarties logo redesign speaks volumes of the power of social media in terms of brand identity and development. The Smarties Candy Company has an extensive history with 70 years of operation. With the digital age, the brand has enjoyed steady fandom as it appeals to the more nostalgic consumer who grew up with Smarties' iconic candy rolls.
In 2018, however, sisters Jessica Dee Sawyer and Liz Dee made a decision to give the company a face-lift with a newly designed Smarties logo. The change is made to signify the entry of the Smarties Candy Company into the modern world through an aesthetic that embraces both retro and contemporary sensibilities.
Since the launch of the new Smarties logo, the brand has seen an increase of up to 1,000 on Instagram per week.
The Smarties Logo Moves from Nostalgia to Modern Day
1. Social Media-optimized Logo Redesigns - Brands are leveraging social media to initiate conversation with their customers through logo redesigns and in-turn increase their brand identity and growth
2. Nostalgia-based Modernization - Brands with rich history are modernizing their image while still maintaining their original nostalgia through their branding and logo, bridging the gap between the old and new era
3. Consumer-driven Brand Evolution - Customers' sentiment and feedback towards a brand's original logo has become an integral factor driving the evolution of a brand's identity and logo
1. Food and Beverage - Food and beverage companies, particularly those with rich history, can benefit from social media optimized logo redesigns to appeal to the nostalgic and modern customers alike
2. Fashion and Lifestyle - Fashion and Lifestyle brands can capitalize on the trend of nostalgia-based modernization by refreshing their brand identities and staying fresh in the marketplace while still maintaining their appeal to their original followers
3. Technology and Marketing - Technology and Marketing industries driven by customer sentiment data and feedback can leverage consumer-driven brand evolution to drive innovation in their fields, engaging their consumers and testing new ideas.