Nakae Architects must have had function as their singular thought in the creation of the MM Apartment building. The interior spaces, though all white, appear useful and utilitarian. The exterior, however, gives the architects little to brag about. The MM Apartment looks more like a prison than an 8-unit residential building.
The MM Apartment building was photographed by Hiroyasu Sakaguchi. The designers on the MM Apartment included Yuji Nakae, Hirofumi Ohno and Yamada Hiroyuki.
Implications - Consumers are looking to create products that stress functionality over aesthetics. Buyers are realizing that to make better use of their money, they should invest in more utilitarian and functional items. Businesses can profit by providing products and services that don't have to include this design aesthetic, but rather focus on the functional appeal of the product.
MM Apartment Building in Tokyo by Nakae Architects
1. Function-first Design - Consumers are prioritizing functionality over aesthetics in the design of products.
2. Utilitarian Aesthetics - Products with an utilitarian and practical look are gaining popularity.
3. Minimalism - Consumers are gravitating towards simplified and minimal designs.
1. Architecture - Opportunity to offer utilitarian, functional building designs that prioritize function over aesthetics.
2. Furniture - Opportunity to offer minimal and practical furniture designs that prioritize function over aesthetics.
3. Consumer Electronics - Opportunity to offer utilitarian and simplified electronic devices that prioritize function over flashy design.