A series of landscape accents that embrace a uniform material pop up in eastern France. The structures are the work of Oslo-based design studio Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter who utilized Corten steel to direct tourists along the Chemin des Carrières — this is "an 11-kilometer trail through the rural villages and landscape of Rosheim, on the outskirts of Strasbourg." It leads to a historic quarry.
The landscape accents are strategically placed along the Rosheim-St Nabor railway. Each structure is designed to "respond to the peculiarities of its location," often serving a greater purpose — be that of shelter or making way for breathtaking scenery.
On this project, Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter worked alongside landscape studio Parenthèse Paysage.
Image Credit: Florent Michel/11h45
Reiulf Ramstad Arkitekter Builds Structures That Offer Direction
1. Corten Steel in Landscaping - The use of Corten steel in landscape accents offers a unique and durable material for directing tourists and enhancing outdoor spaces.
2. Multi-functional Landscape Structures - Designing landscape accents with a multi-functional purpose, such as shelter or framing scenic views, creates innovative solutions for addressing unique site conditions.
3. Integrated Landscape and Architecture Design - Collaboration between landscape architects and architects create integrated designs that respond to and enhance site context while providing necessary wayfinding solutions.
1. Landscape Architecture - Landscape architects can embrace the use of innovative materials, such as Corten steel, and incorporate multi-functional design solutions into their projects to create unique and memorable outdoor spaces.
2. Architecture - Architects who collaborate with landscape architects can create cohesive and integrated designs that enhance both the built and natural environment to provide functional and aesthetic solutions.
3. Tourism - The use of innovative landscape accents, such as those made with Corten steel, can enhance tourists' experiences by providing wayfinding solutions that are integrated with the surrounding environment.