The Citadel is the world’s first floating apartment complex. Designed by Dutch architect Koen Olthuis of Waterstudio, the structure will be the luxury home to 60 lucky people in the Netherlands.
The apartment complex part of the ‘New Water’ development will be built on a floating concrete foundation. Each unit will have a garden terrace, modern interiors and stunning views. In addition there will be docks for your yacht, floating roads and various greenhouses to garden in.
The Citadel’s cooling system will function around cooled water pumped though the building, using 25% less energy than a traditional building.
The Citadel in the Netherlands is Built for Changing Water Levels
1. Floating Apartment Complexes - Opportunity to innovate in sustainable and adaptable housing solutions, especially in areas prone to changing water levels.
2. New Water Development - Potential for developing new sustainable communities that take advantage of water resources for housing, transportation, and agriculture.
3. Cooled Water Systems - Disruptive innovation in cooling technologies to reduce energy consumption and environmental impact in buildings.
1. Architecture - Architects can explore new designs and technologies to create floating structures that adapt to changing water levels.
2. Real Estate - Opportunity for real estate developers to invest in and market floating apartment complexes as luxury waterfront properties.
3. Engineering - Engineers can develop innovative water management systems and floating foundation technologies to support the construction of floating apartment complexes.