These speedy little swimmers are actually bionic penguins, but their incredible design could easily fool you. The penguin robots were created by the Festo Bionic Learning Network who focus on “Autonomous, self-regulating and self-organising systems.” They have created both bionic aquatic penguins and flying penguins.
These bionic penguins utilize hydrodynamic technology to swim and steer through water, moving in similar ways the beaked mammals do in real life. They use 3D sonar to sense their way around their aquatic environments and to communicate with each other. The only difference between these and real ones? The bionic penguins can swim backward, too!
Festo Bionic Learning Network Creates Aquatic & Flying Penguins
1. Bionic Animals - Innovative use of bio-inspired engineering to create robotic animals that mimic natural movements and behaviors, presenting opportunities for applications in various industries.
2. Autonomous Systems - Development of self-regulating and self-organizing systems with real-world functionality, opening up possibilities for automation and efficiency improvement in industries such as manufacturing and logistics.
3. Hydrodynamic Technology - Advancements in hydrodynamic technology applied in creating aquatic robots with fluid motion capabilities and high maneuverability, with potential applications in underwater exploration and marine transportation industry.
1. Robotics - Creating innovative robots that mimic animal behaviors can boost efficiency, labor and safety in sectors such as manufacturing and security.
2. Marine Transportation - The use of hydrodynamic technology and autonomous systems in creating unmanned aquatic vehicles that can navigate varying water conditions with precision is a disruptive innovation opportunity in the marine transportation industry.
3. Underwater Exploration - The development of bio-inspired robots with natural aquatic movement has potential applications in improving underwater exploration and reducing human divers' risks in inspection and research efforts.