The Barack Obama informercial titled “American Stories, American Solutions” was a brilliant, touching and informative political ad that ran last night for an unheard of amount of time--thirty minutes. Not only that, but the powers that be of Major League Baseball agreed to push the World Series back a half an hour to accommodate the Obama infomercial.
The Obama infomercial cost several million dollars, and it ran on FOX, NBC, MSNBC, BET, CBS, and several other stations. CNN and ABC are the only two stations on which “American Stories, American Solutions” did not run. His ad could not have been released at a better time--six days before the November 4th election. Senator John McCain, not surprisingly, has criticized the ad.
The “American Stories, American Solutions” Obama infomercial did not attempt to smear John McCain, Sarah Palin, or even the Republican Party; which in and of itself is very admirable. Senator Obama stayed completely focused on the issues that encompass the American people on a daily basis and stories of his family which allowed viewers to get to know him.
The Barack Obama Infomercial
1. Long-format Political Ads - The Obama infomercial running for thirty minutes showcased the opportunity for political candidates to present their ideas and stories in a more in-depth format.
2. Multi-channel Advertising - The Obama infomercial being broadcasted on various networks demonstrated the potential for reaching a wider audience through a diverse range of channels.
3. Strategic Timing of Political Ads - Releasing the Obama infomercial six days before the election highlighted the importance of timing and capturing the attention of voters at critical moments.
1. Television Broadcasting - The success of the Obama infomercial suggests a disruptive innovation opportunity for television networks to offer longer ad slots for political campaigns.
2. Advertising and Marketing - The multi-channel approach of the Obama infomercial presents an opportunity for marketing agencies to create integrated campaigns across multiple platforms.
3. Political Campaign Management - Strategically timing political ads, as demonstrated by the Obama infomercial, can be an innovative approach for campaign managers to engage voters effectively.