In an effort to better redesign its train interiors, the Dutch National Railway Company hired Mecanoo architects and the furniture company Gispen to create work-focused commuter trains. Set to unveil in 2025, these trains contain several seating options that can be mixed or matched with full modularity. This ensures each of the work-focused commuter trains can meet the specific needs of its riders with 12 unique furniture modules.
According to the Dutch National Railway Company, none of the train arrangments are completely commital and can be changed over the course of a day. This allows the company to easily adjust interiors to react to immediate issues regarding occupancy and passenger needs. Ultimately, the company hopes to create a travel option that turns "journey time into working time. Or time for reading, chatting, or chilling out... it’s the passengers who decide.”
These New Train Interiors Can be Changed to Respond to Issues
1. Work-focused Train Interiors - Designing train interiors with work-focused options in mind to meet the specific needs of riders with full modularity and adaptability.
2. Modularity in Transportation - Using modularity to make transportation more adaptable and efficient by rearranging furniture and seating options in ways that better respond to immediate issues like occupancy and passenger needs.
3. Flexible Commuting Options - Creating more flexible commuting options that turn travel time into working time or time for reading, chatting, or chilling out by allowing passengers to decide how they want to use their time.
1. Transportation - Innovating transportation with modular and flexible designs to meet the specific needs of riders and improve efficiency.
2. Architecture - Partnering with furniture companies to design modular interiors that can adapt to changing circumstances and enhance passengers' travel experience.
3. Furniture - Collaborating with transportation companies to design innovative modular furniture solutions that can meet the evolving needs of passengers and make travel more comfortable and efficient.