This bold and vibrant transgender photo series is not only aesthetically striking, it also sends out a message that nonconforming individuals do not need to tame who they truly are because of those who can't accept them. The work of photographer Dusti Cunningham and trans activist Jacob Rostovsky, the transgender photo series ‘Genderbent’ documents different individuals who do not conform to gender roles in society.
“Historically the trans and gender nonconforming communities have been mostly hidden from the average public’s sight. That is quickly changing, with mainstream media showing an interest," says Cunningham.
The photo series does a beautiful job showcasing the subjects creative flair and their strong sense of self, which will hopefully help the audience be less close-minded about the issue of transgender.
"I want this project to offer a view the mainstream won’t. Hopefully it will answer many questions and give a better understanding of the culture,” says Cunningham.
This Transgender Photo Series Sends a Message About Gender Roles
1. Nonconforming Gender Identity - Opportunity for companies to create inclusive and welcoming products and services for nonconforming individuals.
2. Transgender Visibility - Opportunity to create more representation of transgender and gender nonconforming individuals in media and advertising.
3. Challenging Gender Roles - Opportunity to address and challenge societal norms around gender and promote inclusivity.
1. Fashion - Opportunity for fashion brands to expand their inclusivity and create gender-neutral clothing lines.
2. Media - Opportunity for media companies to create more representation of transgender and gender nonconforming individuals in TV shows, movies, and other forms of entertainment.
3. Advertising - Opportunity for advertising agencies to create ads that promote inclusivity and challenge societal norms around gender.