With views of the Helsinki Harbour, the Palace Restaurant has been a favorite since it was built in 1952, but with an outdated interior design and understated menu, the entire restaurant underwent a renovation.
In collaboration with the Helsinki City Museum, SARC Architects reconfigured and protected the building's original features such as the large mahogany and elm panels in the ceiling. By adding earthy colors and re-upholstering the original furniture, the designers created a major upgrade. The large windows in the space now allow for natural sunlight to light up the room for executive chefs Eero Vottonen and Hans Valimaki to serve a modern take on classic Finnish Cuisine.
Being such a well-known establishment, the Palace Restaurant owners wanted to keep it as traditional as possible, while striking interest in a younger and new crowd.