After its debut on Netflix, Orange is the New Black quickly gained a cult following. Fans were active on all social media fronts, contributing their thoughts, opinions and fan-made content.
The show capitalized on the fan momentum, offering them tid-bits of exclusive information and behind-the-scene peeks through its social media accounts. More importantly, the show recognized its fans' commitment, enthusiasm and skill, inviting them to participate. The 'Taystee Twist' dance competition, for instance, collected fan-made videos of the dance. Winners received a shout-out from Taystee herself, played by the remarkable Danielle Brooks. Another example was 'Big Boo's Costume Contest,' where Halloween costumes were judged by Big Boo (Lea Delaria).
Orange is the New Black recognized the passion and kinship within its fandom; the show used social media to forge an authentic relationship with an already flourishing-community.
The Orange is the New Black Fandom is Dedicated
1. Social Media Engagement with Fans - Opportunities to use social media platforms to engage with fans and build a dedicated community.
2. Fan-driven Content Creation - Opportunities to encourage fans to create and share content related to a specific fandom.
3. Celebrity Interaction with Fans - Opportunities for celebrities to interact directly with fans through social media and fan-driven events.
1. Entertainment - Opportunities for TV shows, movies, and other forms of entertainment to connect with fans and build a loyal following.
2. Social Media - Opportunities for social media platforms to enhance fan engagement and provide outlets for fan-driven content creation.
3. Digital Marketing - Opportunities for digital marketers to leverage fan communities and create authentic connections between brands and consumers.