As more and more of the devices in our homes gain connectivity, it only takes a slight hop in logic to imagine those objects gaining complete sentience as well, and 'Objective Realities', a new art installation from Shanghai-based collective Automato, tries to portray that sci-fi concept. The project uses virtual reality to give people the experience of existence as a connected device like a fan, an outlet, or a smart vacuum.
Objective Reality's VR headsets are the most noticeable aspect of the installation from the outset. Rather than the recognizable, exaggerated goggle shape that is most common, the project's helmets are shaped like massive versions of the gadgets in question. Wearing each of those helmets takes viewers on a VR journey through the life of those objects.
Image Credit: Automato
Automato's 'Objective Realities' Uses VR to Portray Connected Devices
1. Connected Devices - Opportunities for disruptive innovation in creating new ways to interact with and experience connected devices through virtual reality.
2. Virtual Reality Art Installations - Opportunities for disruptive innovation in using virtual reality to create immersive art experiences that portray futuristic concepts.
3. Sentient Objects - Opportunities for disruptive innovation in exploring the concept of objects gaining sentience in the Internet of Things era.
1. Internet of Things (iot) - Opportunities for disruptive innovation in developing technologies and applications that enable objects to connect and communicate with each other.
2. Virtual Reality (VR) - Opportunities for disruptive innovation in creating and improving virtual reality hardware and software for various industries and applications.
3. Art and Entertainment - Opportunities for disruptive innovation in incorporating technology and immersive experiences into art installations and entertainment venues.