The MLB first let fans enter the home run derby in a VR exhibit at select ballparks last season, but now the league is letting fans partake at home with the MLB Home Run Derby VR. Available on the PSVR and HTC Vive, this officially licensed sports game transports players to three recreated baseball fields: Marlins Park in Miami, Nationals Park in Washington, DC and Progressive Field in Cleveland. The baseball league will also debut the VR experience at 12 stadiums across the US, including Arizona's Diamondback's Chase Field and Tampa Bay Rays' Tropicana Field.
Those who don't own a VR headset can still enjoy the MLB Home Run Derby VR in 2D. This scaled-down version will still include realistically rendered fields and will be available on mobile for iOS and Android. Both versions will include an updated roster for the 2018 season as well as 50 players from the last eight years of MLB home run derbies.
Image Credit: MLB
The MLB Home Run Derby VR Lets Players Play on Realistic Iconic Fields
1. VR Home Run Games - Opportunity for immersive sports gaming experiences with realistic baseball fields.
2. MLB VR Experience - Growing trend of professional sports leagues incorporating virtual reality to engage fans.
3. Mobile VR Gaming - Expanding accessibility of virtual reality games through mobile platforms.
1. Sports Entertainment - Opportunity for sports leagues to enhance fan engagement through immersive virtual reality experiences.
2. Gaming - Growing market for virtual reality gaming with realistic sports simulations.
3. Mobile Technology - Expanding use of virtual reality technology on mobile platforms, providing new gaming opportunities.