The Minimalist Baker blog developed a recipe for meat-free Mediterranean wraps. Although shawarma is traditionally made with lamb, chicken or beef, this recipe uses chickpeas to achieve the same delicious blend of Mediterranean flavors.
Instead of using roasted meat as the primary filling, this recipe uses chickpeas seasoned with a piquant blend of spices. While the recipe calls for a number of different spices, the addition of ground coriander, cumin and paprika help to give the chickpeas a fiery taste. The flavorful wrap is then finished with tomato, onion, lettuce and a creamy garlic dill sauce. While the sandwich may sound less filling than traditional shawarma, the hearty Mediterranean wrap actually packs 22 grams of plant-based protein.
The recipe is a healthy and flavorful alternative to the classic shawarma sandwich.
These Mediterranean Wraps are Meat-Free and Vegan-Friendly
1. Meat-free Mediterranean Wraps - The popularity of plant-based diets is creating opportunities for meat-free Mediterranean wrap recipes that substitute chickpeas for roasted meat.
2. Piquant Spice Blends - The trend towards bold flavors is prompting chefs to experiment with fiery spice combinations, like the blend of ground coriander, cumin and paprika used in this recipe.
3. Healthy Plant-based Proteins - The demand for healthy, plant-based proteins is driving the development of recipes like these chickpea sandwiches, which pack 22 grams of protein into a flavorful wrap.
1. Food Service - Restaurants and food service companies can capitalize on growing interest in plant-based diets by offering innovative menu items, like these meat-free Mediterranean wraps, that feature healthy proteins and bold flavors.
2. Health and Wellness - The growing popularity of plant-based diets and interest in healthy proteins is creating opportunities for wellness companies to create new products and services that cater to health-conscious consumers.
3. Consumer Packaged Goods - Consumer packaged goods companies can capitalize on growing demand for plant-based proteins and bold flavor combinations by developing new products that appeal to health-conscious, flavor-seeking consumers.