Toronto-based artist Amin Rehman explores the world of shop displays through his collection 'Windows.' This collection features gloomy, eerie and haunting depictions of the often-glamorized and idolized mannequin. Many of the pieces are reminiscent of what one might find in a horror film, no doubt adding to the appeal and curiosity of the viewer to understand these works.
Rehman’s haunting headless collection consists of 6 pieces. These piece depict both male and female mannequin forms in a variety of poses, each with different outfits. These decapitated figures are the main subject of Rehman’s pieces and reflect a morbid perspective of shop displays. Rehman reduces the accessorized mannequin to a headless body of a creepy and unsettling nature.
This simplistic and raw collection deconstructs the mannequin and the politics of the department store shop display. In his artist statement, Rehman explains that the paintings were a representation of “competing window displays in store fronts located in and around his neighborhood.” This collection is just one expression of Amin Rehman’s boundless artistic genius. Rehman has also experimented with installations and performance pieces.
Amin Rehman 'Windows' is an Eerie Take on Mannequins
1. Eerie Mannequin Art - There is a growing trend of artists creating eerie and haunting artwork featuring mannequins, providing an opportunity for innovative displays in retail and art galleries.
2. Exploring Shop Display Politics - Artists like Amin Rehman are deconstructing the politics of department store shop displays, creating opportunities for disruptive innovations in visual merchandising and retail marketing strategies.
3. Morbid Perspective on Mannequins - Art collections that present mannequins in a creepy and unsettling way are gaining popularity, opening up possibilities for unconventional advertising and visual branding approaches.
1. Art - The art industry can leverage the growing trend of eerie mannequin art to showcase unique and unconventional exhibits, attracting a new audience.
2. Retail - The retail industry can use the exploration of shop display politics to create disruptive visual merchandising strategies and enhance the overall customer experience.
3. Advertising - The advertising industry can incorporate the morbid perspective on mannequins in campaigns to create attention-grabbing visuals and unconventional brand messaging.