The newest car park in Stockholm won't have an engine in sight -- instead, it will function as a bicycle parking garage. Designed by Belatchew Architects, the bike garage will hold 700 spots, lockers and even showers. The city planning commissioner for the Swedish city notes future cities won't be built with cars as the central means of transportation, which is why the garage is going to be built.
The bicycle parking garage will be located near a train station and will have many cyclist-accommodating features. This includes automatic sliding door entrances, a bike repair shop and changing rooms where commuters can shower, get ready for work and store helmets and other personal effects in lockers. The garage will be a part of a building with about 60 apartments, implying tenants won't need cars.
This New Bicycle Parking Garage Will be Built in Stockholm, Sweden
1. Bike-only Parking - Opportunity for businesses to create bike-only parking lots in urban areas to accommodate the growing number of bicyclists.
2. Cycling Infrastructure - Opportunity for companies to invest in building cycling infrastructure such as bike repair shops and shower facilities to support the cycling community.
3. Car-free Cities - Opportunity for city planners and developers to design cities that prioritize cycling and other alternative means of transportation over cars.
1. Real Estate - Real estate developers can capitalize on the demand for bike-friendly properties by integrating bike parking facilities in their projects.
2. Urban Planning - Opportunity for urban planners to design cities with cycling infrastructure and car-free zones to promote sustainable transportation options.
3. Fitness and Wellness - Fitness facilities and wellness centers can attract more customers by offering adequate bike parking facilities and amenities for cyclists.