In a retail climate increasingly overrun with big box chains like Walmart and Target, the American Express Shop Small campaign is designed to bring consumers back to the roots of their neighborhoods by encouraging them to shop at local stores.
The American Express Shop Small campaign comes to life as a Facebook contest called Neighborhood Gems. Customers of local stores (over 4,000 stores are registered) in Toronto, Canada are encouraged to visit the page and vote on their favorite stores on the interactive map. The business garnering the most votes receives a prize package aimed at improving its ability to use social media to drive interest and traffic to the store via a one-on-one social media consultation from Facebook Canada. The business crowned Toronto's Neighborhood Gem will also be featured in an American Express advertorial in Toronto Life magazine.
This grass roots retail campaign is reflective of the overriding attitudes of Canadians, 90% of whom agree small businesses make a significant contribution to their community.
Visit the Neighbourhood Gem interactive map and vote for your favorite Toronto small business.
American Express 'Shop Small' Campaign Champions Local Businesses
1. Neighborhood Shopping - American Express' Shop Small campaign is promoting local businesses to fight the domination of big box chains.
2. Social Media for Small Business - The prize package received by the business with the most votes includes a one-on-one social media consultation from Facebook Canada.
3. Grass Roots Marketing - The Neighborhood Gems Facebook contest is an example of consumers being encouraged to connect with their local stores.
1. Retail - Small businesses registered under American Express' Shop Small campaign are being promoted through social media.
2. Advertising - The American Express campaign advertorial in Toronto Life magazine provides a platform for local businesses to promote their products.
3. Digital Marketing - The one-on-one social media consultation provided by Facebook Canada opens opportunities for small business owners to improve their social media presence.