As part of a World Cup campaign, Carlsberg aimed to bring people together through with sports in areas where there's tension between neighboring regions. To set up games of 'Border Football,' Carlsberg invited the people of Cyprus, Belfast and Kosovo to start games from their respective sides, divided by some kind of a border in between. Border Football seems a lot like volleyball, since it involves a barrier in between the players, but either way, it was quite effective at inspiring some good feelings between players.
Despite there being Carlsberg beer involved after the matches, there might not have been total camaraderie between the two opposing sides, but the games ended with cheers and as one player describes, she feels that they can now co-exist.
Carlsberg's Border Football World Cup Campaign Unites the Divided
1. Border Football - The Border Football campaign highlights a trend of using sports to unite people in areas of tension, providing opportunities for brands to create impactful campaigns that foster unity and understanding.
2. Multi-regional Sports Campaigns - The Carlsberg World Cup campaign demonstrates the trend of launching sports campaigns that bridge divides between neighboring regions, presenting opportunities for brands to promote peace and harmony through sports.
3. Barriers in Sports - The use of barriers in the Border Football game highlights a trend of innovative sports adaptations that create unique playing experiences, opening up opportunities for sports equipment manufacturers to create new products and experiences.
1. Beverage Industry - The Carlsberg World Cup campaign showcases how the beverage industry can leverage the power of sports to drive brand awareness and association, opening up opportunities for other beverage companies to create impactful sports-related campaigns.
2. Sports Marketing - The Border Football campaign highlights the potential of sports marketing to promote peace and unity, representing a disruptive innovation opportunity for marketing agencies to create impactful campaigns that transcend borders and cultures.
3. Sports Equipment Manufacturing - The use of barriers in the Border Football game presents a disruption opportunity for sports equipment manufacturers to develop new products and solutions for unique playing experiences, catering to the growing demand for innovative sports adaptations.