In honor of Veterans Day 2018, Google teamed up with StoryCorps to introduce a new oral history project aimed at giving veterans a voice. Presented through Google's animated Doodle, the project captures the stories of five veterans from each branch of the US military. StoryCorps gathered all the pieces used in the project and showcased the ones that focused primarily on friendship, loss, hardship, hope, and love.
The partnership with StoryCorps will also extend past Veterans Day 2018 to a new initiative known as Veterans Voices. This initiative invites the public to interview a veteran in their life and upload the video to either YouTube or the StoryCorps app with the hashtag #VeteransVoices. The submissions sent to the app will be submitted for permanent inclusion in the US Library of Congress.
Image Credit: Google, StoryCorps
StoryCorps and Google Have Partnered to Celebrate Veterans Day 2018
1. Oral History Projects - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Explore the value of preserving personal stories through oral history projects in various domains, such as education, entertainment, and genealogy.
2. Digital Collaboration Platforms - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop online platforms that facilitate video interviews and storytelling, connecting individuals and organizations to share and preserve personal narratives.
3. Crowdsourced Archiving - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create platforms that allow the public to contribute and curate content for national archives and cultural institutions, enabling collective memory preservation.
1. Technology - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Innovate new technologies to capture, store, and present oral histories through interactive mediums.
2. Education - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrate oral history projects into educational settings to enhance students' understanding of historical events and personal narratives.
3. Museum & Heritage - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Collaborate with cultural institutions to digitize and showcase oral histories, creating immersive experiences for visitors.