Budweiser's 'Typical American' ad aired earlier this year during the 2020 Super Bowl LIV event. The campaign dispels common stereotypes and invites viewers to "look beyond the labels" because they might be surprised with what they find.
The beer maker's Typical American ad spotlights real people from all walks of life while challenging common misconceptions about Americans that may be believed around the world. Some of these stereotypes include typical Americans showing off their strength, their competitive side, showing up to places uninvited, always being loud and so on.
Each of these common misconceptions is paired with a compelling clip of people using their strength to help strangers during extreme weather conditions, competing in sporting events despite of physical disabilities, using their loud voices to protest and stand up for political change -- showing that negative typical American stereotypes can actually be turned on their head.
Budweiser's 'Typical American' Commercial Addresses Misconceptions
1. Challenge of Stereotypes - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating marketing campaigns that challenge common stereotypes and promote inclusivity.
2. Authentic Representation - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Showcasing real people from diverse backgrounds in advertisements to break down misconceptions and promote acceptance.
3. Positive Image Reinforcement - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Highlighting positive actions and values associated with a brand to reshape public perception.
1. Advertising - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Utilizing creative methods to challenge stereotypes and create impactful advertising campaigns.
2. Beverage - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing inclusive branding strategies to stand out in the beverage industry and appeal to a diverse consumer base.
3. Social Activism - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Partnering with social causes and movements to promote positive change and redefine industry narratives.