One of the best ways to cool down in hot weather is to enjoy ice cold summer beers, especially in a social setting with friends or family. Mill Street Brewing Company Brew Master Joel Manning recently visited the Trend Hunter office to discuss some of Mill Street's seasonal beers and the history behind their development.
The seasonal summer beers have a complex but smaller flavor profile, typically with a lower alcohol content as well. This is because such brews are typically intended for volume drinking and allow consumers to taste test and discover their favorite picks. This includes the hoppy Stargazer English summer ale, a lemon tea beer and the Belgian-style Ginger Cat.
Manning notes that craft beer, particularly in the summer, focuses on drinkability and adaptability. Mill Street enables this with intentional packaging.
Brew Master Joel Manning Discusses Mill Street's Collection of Summer Beers
1. Summer Seasonal Beers - Increased demand for small-batch seasonal beers emphasizes the need for breweries to experiment with flavor ingredient combinations as a point of competitive differentiation.
2. Drinkability - Craft breweries are experimenting with lower alcohol volume in order to increase the appeal of session beers to casual beer drinkers.
3. Intentional Packaging - Small breweries can create disruptive packaging strategies that help their beers stand out on store shelves, such as incorporating unique labels, unusual can/bottle shapes, or even barrel-aged or bottled-conditioned beers.
1. Craft Beer Industry - Craft brewers can take advantage of the trend towards seasonal and smaller flavor profiles to differentiate themselves from mass-produced beer brands.
2. Packaging Industry - As more craft breweries enter the market, the packaging industry has an opportunity to innovate purposefully designed containers and labels that stand out and reflect a brand's values and identity.
3. Beverage Distribution Industry - Craft breweries can use distribution channels to gain access to new markets while increasing their brand visibility and competitive advantage.