The 'CJ CGV' cinema group developed 'ScreenX,' a technology that gives a 270-degree screening experience in the theatre. Reportedly, about 40 cinemas in South Korea are already using this immersive technology.
The effect seems difficult to capture on video, but it looks like there are three individual screens used instead of one for movie-viewing. Instead of looking at a single screen straight ahead, the 270-degree screening experience happens to your left, right and depending where you choose to sit, behind you as well.
Since it is like being completely wrapped up in the action from all sides, this would be an incredibly exciting way to watch a movie -- though this is probably not a great idea for those who are scared of horror movies.
The 'ScreenX' Technology Brings a 270-Degree Movie Experience
1. Immersive Cinema - Innovative technologies similar to 'ScreenX' can create an out-of-body experience, increasing the sense of escapism for audiences.
2. 360-degree Experience - Immersive theatre screens like 'ScreenX' can incorporate 360-degree viewing to better engage audiences and create new storytelling possibilities.
3. Hybrid Formats - Combining immersive screen technologies like 'ScreenX' with VR and AR can create completely unique and interactive cinematic experiences.
1. Entertainment - Incorporating immersive technologies like 'ScreenX' can increase the appeal of cinemas and attract more consumers, especially after the pandemic.
2. Advertising - Brands can use immersive theatre screens like 'ScreenX' for in-theatre advertising to better engage audiences and create memorable brand experiences.
3. Tourism - Tourist attractions like theme parks can use immersive technologies like 'ScreenX' to create interactive rides or shows that enhance the visitor's experience.