The Absolut Company is identifying paper bottle packaging as a "promising opportunity" and is looking toward the material in order to build a "truly circular system." The brand is participating in a collaborative paper bottle development project called 'Paboco.' Other companies that are betting on a more sustainable future are Carlsberg, L'Oreal, and Coca-Cola.
Not only is the paper bottle packaging lighter than glass, but "sustainability is the main driver for [The Absolut Company]." As a result, being fully recyclable is very important. The project is facing a few challenges—from finding barrier solutions that can sustain liquid and materials that will withstand carbonated contents. However, Louise Werner, director of the Absolut Company’s future packaging team, is optimistic.
Image Credit: Shutterstock
The Absolut Company Joins Others in a Quest for Sustainability
1. Paper Bottle Packaging - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing barrier solutions for sustaining liquid and materials that withstand carbonated contents in paper bottle packaging.
2. Circular Economy - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Building a truly circular system by utilizing paper bottle packaging for a more sustainable future.
3. Sustainable Packaging - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating fully recyclable packaging as a main driver for sustainability in the industry.
1. Beverage Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Introducing paper bottle packaging as a lighter and more sustainable alternative to glass in the beverage industry.
2. Personal Care Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Adopting paper bottle packaging in products like shampoo, lotion, and other personal care items for a more eco-friendly packaging solution.
3. Alcohol Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Implementing paper bottle packaging in alcoholic beverages to reduce environmental impact and appeal to eco-conscious consumers.