Tuesday afternoon, while in the Motor City to attend The Business of Plugging in 2009 conference on plug-in auto technology, I had the good fortune of touring the OnStar Command Center and OnStar EV Lab to see firsthand how GM-affiliated technologies like the OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown aim to revolutionize car safety.
We introduced the OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown feature in 2007, but it’s since been rolled out to 2009 GM production vehicles. OnStar has also added the Remote Engine Block, which allows OnStar to disable the engine of a stolen vehicle once it’s been turned off.
In a timely turn of events, during our tour and presentation, senior communications manager Jim Kobus relayed an anecdote from the previous evening in which an OnStar subscriber’s vehicle was stolen. Using the OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown in conjunction with local law enforcement, the stolen car was back in the hands of law enforcement—less than 17 minutes after the car was first reported stolen.
Check out a video on the OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown—as well as some iPhone snaps I captured during the tour—above.
OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown Stops High Speed Chases in Their Tracks
1. Onstar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown - The OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown feature aims to revolutionize car safety by allowing OnStar to disable the engine of a stolen vehicle once it's been turned off and stop high-speed chases in their tracks.
2. Remote Engine Block - The Remote Engine Block feature enhances the OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown feature, thereby providing an extra layer of security.
3. Plug-in Auto Technology - The Business of Plugging in 2009 conference showcased the latest trends and innovations in plug-in auto technology.
1. Automotive Industry - The OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown and Remote Engine Block features and plug-in auto technology are disrupting the automotive industry.
2. Security and Surveillance Industry - The OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown feature and Remote Engine Block enhance the security and surveillance industry efforts to combat auto theft.
3. Telecommunications Industry - The OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is an innovative and disruptive product from the telecommunications industry that enhances car safety and security.