Taking inspiration from the creatures of the sea, designer Dennis Parren created a colorful octopus light for the 2015 Biennale Internationale Design Saint-Etienne.
Dubbed the 'Dotted Light,' this fixture is made from a 3D-printed frame with a series of attached LED light strips. Although these materials used in this lighting design are quite inexpensive, they are transformed into unique sculptures that look much more costly than they really are. The fixture's construction is so simple, it works as a plug and play model.
Parren is known for designs that tell stories with light and color, as seen in previous creations like his CMYK Light Bulb and CMYK Lamp. With 3D printing technology and a whole natural world to take inspiration from, impressive lamps like this one are becoming easier to manufacture.
Dennis Parren's 'Dotted Lamp' Resembles a Living Octopus Light
1. 3D Printing Lighting - Opportunity to utilize 3D printing technology to create unique and affordable lighting designs.
2. Sculptural Lighting - Potential for transforming inexpensive materials into visually stunning and artistic lighting fixtures.
3. Nature-inspired Designs - Growing trend of using natural elements and creatures as inspiration for lighting designs.
1. Lighting Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity to create visually striking and cost-effective lighting solutions using 3D printing and unique sculptural designs.
2. 3D Printing - Emerging market for 3D printing technology in the production of artistic and functional lighting fixtures.
3. Interior Design - Opportunity for interior designers to incorporate nature-inspired lighting designs into their projects for a unique and visually engaging experience.