The Nano Meter 555 Midlayer, a new piece of athletic gear from apparel company Vollebak, is designed according to scientific principles in order to make it as visible as possible.
Rather than resorting to some sort of technological innovation, Vollebak considered biology for the Nano Meter 555. The shirt's bright green color is obviously highly visible, but the degree to which it can be spotted might be surprising. The shirt gets its name from the wavelength it reflects -- 555 nanometers -- and that frequency was used because, according to the UK National Physics Laboratory, that green light maximally stimulates the greatest number of cones in the human eye.
Whether for riding one's bike in low visibility to maximize the chances of being spotted by passing cars or for making sure that one can be spotted by rescue workers should a hiking trip go awry, high visibility is essential for outdoor athletics.
The Nano Meter 555 Midlayer is Designed to be Maximally Visible
1. Maximal Visibility Apparel - Opportunity for apparel companies to design athletic gear that utilizes scientific principles to maximize visibility.
2. Biology-inspired Design - Opportunity to explore biological principles in creating innovative and highly visible athletic wear.
3. Human Eye Stimulation - Opportunity for research and development in understanding how specific wavelengths of light can stimulate the human eye for enhanced visibility.
1. Athletic Apparel - Opportunity for athletic apparel companies to create hyper-visible jackets and gear for outdoor athletics.
2. Safety and Rescue Equipment - Opportunity for safety and rescue equipment manufacturers to incorporate highly visible materials and designs.
3. Cycling and Outdoor Adventure - Opportunity to cater to the specific needs of cyclists and outdoor adventurers by providing high-visibility gear for enhanced safety.