In another attempt to compete with the booming brand Snapchat, Instagram is offering two new features that are similar to those that Snapchat offers – including live video and disappearing photos.
The live video option can be accessed when users of the social media app swipe right from their feed. It allows users to record live videos for up to an hour and once they have finished recording, the video disappears from the feed. The social media site is also going to offer disappearing photos in its direct messaging feature. This is particularly similar to Snapchat's disappearing photos option in its chat extension.
Instagram's newest updates were in direct response to Snapchat and its popularity, and the brand hopes that it will put it on equal footing with the distinct services that its competitor offers.
Instagram Launched Live Videos and Disappearing Photos
1. Live Videos - There is an opportunity to develop innovative ways to enhance real-time video streaming experiences and monetization strategies.
2. Disappearing Photos - Exploring new ways to integrate ephemeral photo sharing into different platforms can provide unique user experiences and foster engagement.
3. Competitive Social Media Features - Creating and implementing features that rival popular platforms can help businesses attract and retain users in a competitive industry.
1. Social Media - Social media platforms can utilize live videos and disappearing photos to differentiate themselves and offer unique value to users.
2. Digital Advertising - With the popularity of live social media extensions, businesses can explore new advertising opportunities within the context of real-time video streaming and photo sharing.
3. Messaging Apps - Messaging apps can incorporate disappearing photos feature to provide a more private and intimate communication experience for users.