Czech artist Kristyna Milde recreates some of history's most famous paintings using posed Barbie dolls as a replacement for the female subjects of these artworks.
Kristyna Milde's engaging series entitled cUMENI combines the depiction of women in historical European paintings with modern pop culture in an examination of how modes of representation distort our perception of women.
Very impressive work, as the recreations are near perfect.
Implications - Milde says that she created the works to try and "show the similarities between stereotypical representation in the past and the present time." The Barbies within the works are almost always naked and have either blonde or dark-brown hair. Take a look and see if you can guess the historical portrait the Barbies are placed in.
Kristyna Milde Recreates Famous Paintings with Posed Dolls
1. Reimagining Art - Opportunity to use unconventional materials or subjects to recreate famous artworks and challenge traditional representations.
2. Feminist Critique - Opportunity to explore and question societal perceptions of women through the lens of art and popular culture.
3. Hybrid Art - Opportunity to merge historical art with modern pop culture to create thought-provoking and visually striking pieces.
1. Art - Artists can redefine the boundaries of traditional art and push for more inclusive and diverse representations.
2. Fashion - Fashion designers can incorporate elements of historical art into their designs to create unique and thought-provoking garments.
3. Media and Entertainment - Film directors and producers can explore the intersection of historical art and modern pop culture to create visually captivating movies and TV shows.