Perhaps the strangest thing about the Gig Car Share app is the company behind it. The new iOS and Android application was dreamed up by the American Automobile Association, better known as AAA. AAA is best known as a membership organization that provides roadside assistance. However, it's trying to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to cars, hence the Gig Car Share app.
The app launches in May 2017 in two California cities, Oakland and Berkeley. All rentals are one-way to ensure that users don't pay just to park. All the cars in the Gig fleet are Toyota Prius C hybrids. AAA worked with Oakland and Berkeley to ensure that all of its cars could be parked on the street without being ticketed. This means renters won't have to fight to find a parking spot or go out of their way to use a designated lot. The Gig Car Share app is out now but the service itself won't go live for another two weeks.
AAA's Gig Car Share App Doesn't Make You Pay to Park
1. One-way Car Rentals - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating a car rental service that offers one-way rentals to eliminate the inconvenience and cost of parking.
2. Membership-based Car Sharing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing a car sharing app that is built on a membership-based model, providing users with access to a fleet of vehicles without the need for ownership.
3. Collaboration with Local Authorities - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Partnering with local cities and municipalities to establish parking agreements, allowing for street parking without the need to pay for designated lots or face parking tickets.
1. Car Rental Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Introducing one-way car rentals as a new service offering, targeting customers who value convenience and flexibility in their transportation needs.
2. Car Sharing Industry - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Building a membership-based car sharing platform that offers a wide range of vehicle options for users to choose from, encouraging sustainable and efficient transportation.
3. Smart City Solutions - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing smart city solutions that promote efficient parking management systems, including partnering with car rental companies to enable street parking for shared vehicles.