In the outdoor exploration community, the name Fred Beckey is associated with such grandiose legend that some don't even believe the man could possibly exist. 'Dirtbag: The Legend of Fred Beckey' aims to silence those disbelievers by chronicling the adventures and misadventures of Fred Beckey, one of America's -- and indeed the 21st century's -- most exceptional climbers and explorers.
Beckey is one of the most prolific climbers of all time, with an absurd amount of records including first ascents, bushwhacking trails, and pioneered routes. However, he stubbornly refused the spotlight, never accepting any sponsorships in his single-minded pursuit of the next climb. He subsequently lived most of his life as a drifter with no permanent home and few possessions of his own.
The film uses footage from over a decade that the director spent with the man himself as well as archival footage to paint a picture of a truly unique life.
'Dirtbag' will Chronicle the Life of Outdoorsman Fred Beckey
1. Outdoor Adventure Documentaries - There is room for more documentaries that explore the life of adventurers like Fred Beckey that would appeal to fans of outdoor exploration.
2. Legacy Documentaries - Documentaries that explore the life of a notable, little-known personality would inspire more people to live exceptional lives.
3. Authentic Adventure Experiences - There is potential for authentic outdoor adventure experiences that allow participants to live a Fred Beckey-style existence, albeit temporarily.
1. Film - Documentary filmmakers could make a name for themselves if they focus their lens on the lives of legendary personalities in the outdoor exploration community.
2. Adventure Sports - Climbing and outdoor sports companies that promote self-sufficient adventuring and personal achievement can leverage Beckey's story to communicate their brand values.
3. Travel and Tourism - Travel companies can promote authentic travel experiences that allow customers to participate in the adventures of legendary adventurers like Fred Beckey.