Maine-based illustrator Douglas Smith has crafted a name for himself through his impressive portfolio spanning the decades since the early 70s. The award-winning artist specializes in finely detailed drawings covering several themes and genres.
His black and white artwork includes surreal imagery such as a fruit that looks like a globe and carpet workers unrolling a large quilt of gravel road. Other illustrations are steeped more in the tradition of action and adventure, depicting characters struggling to stay alive in the face of certain death.
Douglas Smith's true talent is expressed in his attention to minute details. The individual lines used to give body and texture to his artwork is meticulously applied and beautifully executed. While retaining a sense of fantasy, the amount of detailed invested into his artwork elevates the illustrations from something that is looked at to something that is felt.
Douglas Smith Transforms Images into Voyages
1. Detailed Illustrations - Opportunity for the development of a platform to connect skilled illustrators with potential clients across industries
2. Surreal Imagery - Potential for the creation of a VR/AR experience that immerses viewers in surreal worlds
3. Adventure-themed Artwork - Opportunity for the development of a line of adventure-based merchandise utilizing illustrations like those of Douglas Smith
1. Publishing - Detailed illustrations offer a fresh take on traditional novels, and can enhance readers' experiences on a digital platform
2. Gaming - Surreal imagery can be used to create new gaming experiences, transport users to other worlds and create a memorable experience
3. Merchandising - Adventure-themed artwork could be used for merchandising such as posters, t-shirts etc.