StudioMDHR's 'Cuphead' brands itself as a "classic run and gun action game heavily focused on boss battles" that is entirely hand-drawn and inspired by cartoons of the 1930s. As such, the stunning artwork for the game was created with techniques from the era, including everything from cel animation to watercolor backgrounds, and gameplay is set to the sounds of original jazz recordings.
The game for Xbox One, Windows 10 and Steam offers both single-player and local co-op modes, and introduces players to none other than Cuphead and his companion Mugman. In terms of story, the game sees this duo attempt to pay back their debts to the devil as they travel through many strange worlds.
Although there are many games being created with a focus on the latest cutting-edge technologies, games like Cuphead perfectly capture the charm of eras gone by.
The Art from 'Cuphead' Takes Inspiration from 1930s-Style Cartoons
1. Hand-drawn Video Games - Opportunities for independent studios to create unique and visually stunning games that stand out in a crowded market.
2. Nostalgic Gaming - Opportunities to tap into consumers' desire for nostalgia and offer them a retro gaming experience with modern gameplay mechanics.
3. Artistic Gaming - Opportunities for games to be considered as art and expand the definition of what a video game can be.
1. Video Game Development - Independent and small studios have the opportunity to create unique and visually stunning games that capture the attention of consumers.
2. Entertainment - Opportunities to tap into consumers’ desire for nostalgia by offering retro-themed entertainment like movies, TV shows, and music.
3. Art - Opportunities to expand the definition of what art can be by exploring video games as a new medium for artistic expression.